2006/09/14

Reinstalling XP

After using for one year, it is probably a good time to reinstall OS for my one years and 9 monthes old TOSHIBA-A75-S229, in order to speed up the system. However it is really time-consuming.

9/12: I decided to update system instead of a fresh install. Unfortunately, the installing process stuck at 34% left. No sure what happen, maybe there are some drivers missing or some other defects. I couldnot simply format the disk since I had not backup my data yet. copy, xcopy, xxcopy, nothing can acutally copy a whole folder for me. I wanted to use Partition Magic to seperate a partition from 'C:' drive for installing a linux, and then copy a data out. But I was out of luck, PM messed up the Partition Table.

9/13: I bought a hard drive encloser, put the hard disk in, and connected it to my company's laptop; finally I found all data were safe. But, there was a strange partition left in the hard drive, which cound not be read and formatted even I formated C: drvie and loaded a new operating system. The error message is "Missing Operating System." PM TOTALLY WON'T WORK!!! Fortunately, I found a great software in the world, PARTITION TABLE DOCTOR, which fixed the partition table for me.

9/14: Uninstalled a lot of juck software came with Toshiba's recovery CD. Next, it is a bunch of soteware will be installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment